Saturday 31 August 2013

Saturday Savers binding - Izzy

Hi, 
It's my turn (Izzy) for Saturday Savers and I really had to put my thinking cap on for this one.... I had to choose a binding technique that was not showcased this week AND something to upcycle that could be bound.
Then I remembered those beer mats I have had for several years now and thought that they would make the perfect mini album. Team this with yummy products and we are good to go.

The sizes I am going to give you are based on the size of my beer mats, but you will had to adapt it to any beer mat you have
1/  I used Kaisercraft papers, 5 beer mats and grunge paper
2/ I cut 4 pieces of white cardstock (I could have gone for any colour really) and I scored them
In this case, they are cut to 14 x 6.3 mm and scored to get 3/ 0.3 /3 cm
3/ I used a strong adhesive (double sided red tape) to adhere them to the beer mats as shown
4/ This is what you will get once it's glued. 
5/ I cut my papers to size (scored them in the middle too) and adhered them to your beer mat album
6/ Close up of the bound album
The front and back cover are left uncovered as they will be glued to the cover

TIP
If you want to make sure your album with hold, add some washi tape before gluing the papers
Peace of mind, better be safe than sorry


I then made the cover using Grunge Paper which has the advantage to be strong and easily altered (painted, stamps, punched etc). Probably my favourite for a mini album cover (or to make a passport cover as I had done here)
7/ Paint both sides of the cover with a layer of Gesso first and dry.  
8/ Use your Gelli Arts plate and a few masks/stencils along with PaperArtsy (or Americana) paints to make the cover. 
9/ Stamp using StazOn ink
10/ Punch two holes top and bottom and add eyelets for your ribbon 

This is what the inside cover looks like


Stamp the cover using StazOn ink (I went over the dress form with a permanent black pen to make it stand out) and add a layer of your favourite varnish/sealer.
Glue the cover on the beer mat album
Make sure you add the ribbon BEFORE you glue the cover to the beer mats
much easier :)

Front

back

inside

Embellish the spine with a few buttons and a metal charm


I used
Beer mats
Stamps - Tim Holtz: Stuff to Say and Attic Treasures
PaperArtsy Fresco Finish paints: Snowflake, Chocolate, Guacamole, Honey Dew
Gelli Art plate: 8 x 10"
Tando Creative mask: Harlequin
Imagination Crafts stencil: Bay Leaf
StazOn midi: Cloudy Sky


See you tomorrow

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful ideas thank you

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever and looks gorgeous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous and such a fab idea! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great book and binding idea Izzy I have beer mats off to find them and make book, thanks for sharing

    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Izzy, what a fantastic idea! I'll have to send hubby off to the pub now or maybe go myself! hahaha, all in the name of crafting of course! lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. C'est une superbe réa Isa, et une très bonne idée en plus!... Et j'adore les petits boutons empilés aussi, c'est super joli !! Bises

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful Izzy - I really would like to give it a go.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.