Tuesday 13 March 2012

Resistance is futile: Picket Fence resist

Hello, 
You know what... reading the title for this post, I thought: any "non-crafter" out there must be wondering what on earth we are talking about!!
Well, I'm sure most of you will know what we refer to when we mention Picket Fence... and today Neil shows us how to use it as a resist... 

Using Picket fence distress stain as a soft resist.

I know there are a lot of different resist techniques around but I wanted to see if Picket Fence would work. I like the soft resist effect achieved on this sign stamp. 
To get it I took the stamp (needs to be clean!) and covered it with the stain; stamped it onto a piece of card and dried it with a heat gun. (don't forget to clean your stamp straight away too!)
Taking a distress ink pad direct to the piece I covered it with a decent covering of ink and using a moist wipe began to slowly rub and this let the white shine through and highlighted it nicely. It does not give you a solid resist but a much more subtle one which I like; a bit faded by the weather kind of look. 
This is how I used it on my journal page.


Thinking back to the old pioneering times, times when all the things we take for granted now were not around. A time where men of vision; dreamers were prepared to risk their lives to explore the possibilities and make their dreams a reality.
The background was made from mopping up some leftover diluted paints from another project. (Americana) I stamped the machinery along the bottom and the balloon on the left was stamped directly onto the page, masked and the second balloon stamped behind without re inking. I added some tissue tape randomly too.
I tore the edge of my resist card and distressed the other sides before inking with walnut stain distress ink, stamping the via air mail and sticking it down. I coloured the main balloon image. I cut it out and added to the page. Along with the 5c .
Closer shots of the pages -


Materials
Stamp: Remnants
Distress stain - picket fence
Americana acrylics- Deep periwinkle and Avocado
Distress inks - stormy sky and walnut stain






6 comments:

  1. that is such a handy tip about the resist with the picket fence!!! sometimes using white ink just doesn't seem to take, and we don't always want to emboss... thankyou!
    This is a gorgeous journal page!
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Neil - thanks for the tip about resisting with picket fence - can't wait to try it out.. I soooo need those stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous work Neil - again! I love the fact that designers such as yourself share their techniques - I'm learning so much! I actually have Picket Fence so will try this out.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely try this out as picket fence is the only stain I have. I love the effect on your pages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the effects of your resist technic... Result is very beautiful pages !! And tkanks for all your tips and explanations, so interesting. Coco

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks Neil needed some help with my picket fence, know what to do now!!! lainey x

    ReplyDelete

We are very grateful for any comment you might leave.
All comments are moderated due to the huge amount of spam we receive. Your comment will not appear immediately. If you have any questions, please contact us directly, as your email address does not show in your comment, and therefore we cannot get back to you. Thank you.